[Openswan dev] building with gcc 3.4

Ken Bantoft ken at xelerance.com
Thu Sep 16 21:14:45 CEST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Michael Richardson wrote:
> > We have been testing klips26 in HEAD. Using a UML based upon 2.6.6, it
> > works for kernel things with 2.6.6, but there is a UML bug that runs
> > things out of file descriptors, so it is hard to test the pluto items. I
> > have seen some successes though.
> >
> > Using a UML based upon 2.6.7, we get crashes (even without klips
> > loaded). There may be compile problems against 2.6.8.1.
>
> I have done testing on a Debian-based UML session running 2.6.8.1 without
> any problems. I did have to apply a patch to the UML kernel to export the
> memcpy() symbol properly, and possibly fix a very minor compile problem.
> (Been awhile, I don't remember for sure.)
>
> With current 2.6 UML's, be sure to disable 'HIGHMEM' in the kernel - if
> you have it enabled, it will not compile.
>
> > Reports of problems against 2.6.6 are appreciated, as they can be
> > reproduced.
>
> Do you have the scripts available to set up a 2.6-based UML testing
> environment for Openswan? If so, I'll see what I can do to get them
> working with 2.6.8.1 or one of the 2.6.9-pre's. Apparently, 2.6.9 is going
> to work in UML without any patches!

I use the following to autobuild a simple UML for testing Openswan

---
#!/bin/sh

# Where am I?
ROOT=/code/uml

# Location of sources (Kernel, umlfreeroot, Openswan, etc...)
SOURCE=${ROOT}/source
BUILD=${ROOT}/build

# Set these to your versions
KERNEL_VERSION=2.6.8.1
UML_PATCH_VERSION=1
UML_ROOT_VERSION=19.0
OPENSWAN_VERSION=2.2.0

#
# Probably don't need to change anything else below this line
#
UML_ROOT_FILE=${SOURCE}/umlswanroot-${UML_ROOT_VERSION}.tar.gz
KERNEL_FILE=${SOURCE}/linux-${KERNEL_VERSION}.tar.bz2
UML_PATCH_FILE=${SOURCE}/uml-patch-${KERNEL_VERSION}-${UML_PATCH_VERSION}.bz2
OPENSWAN_FILE=${SOURCE}/openswan-${OPENSWAN_VERSION}.tar.gz

rm -rf ${BUILD}/linux-${KERNEL_VERSION}
rm -rf ${BUILD}/root-${UML_ROOT_VERSION}
rm -rf ${BUILD}/openswan-${OPENSWAN_VERSION}

mkdir -p $BUILD
cd $BUILD
# Build a kernel
tar -xjf ${KERNEL_FILE}
cd linux-${KERNEL_VERSION}
bzcat ${UML_PATCH_FILE} | patch -p1
cp ${ROOT}/umlconfig .config
make ARCH=um linux
cp linux ${BUILD}
chmod 755 ${BUILD}/linux
cd $BUILD
tar -xzf $UML_ROOT_FILE

# fix UML Filesystem if needed

tar -xzvf $OPENSWAN_FILE
cd openswan-${OPENSWAN_VERSION}
make DESTDIR=${BUILD}/root-${UML_ROOT_VERSION} programs install

cd $ROOT

echo "You now have a 2.6 Kernel, UML rootfs, and Openswan ready to go"
---

umlswanroot-19.0.tar.gz is now on www.openswan.org/code too, and it 2.6
ready (thanks mcr!)

Ken Bantoft			VP Business Development
ken at xelerance.com		Xelerance Corporation
sip://toronto.xelerance.com	http://www.xelerance.com

The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet.
        -- William Gibson