[Openswan dev] Possible issue between Openswan 2.1 branch and Madwifi?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Mon May 17 17:07:48 CEST 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Paul Wouters wrote:
> In the end of the day, the blame for any program crashing the kernel is
> with the kernel. And if you dont want to blame the kernel, the process
> who causes the kernel to panic. Suspecting openswan as cause is unfair
> :0 It is as most the trigger :)

Heh, yeah, I know - just trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot
this. I'm not trying to blame Openswan, just noticing that it's the thing
that triggers the problem.  :)

> Is this the entire ksymoops traceback? It seems rather short. Getting
> the entire trace would help either us, or the kernel people to locate
> the problem.

That's all that appeared both on-screen and in syslog - the box didn't
actually totally crash, so I think it's all that ways displayed.

> Ofcourse, this is also showing your kernel is tainted, so some non-GPL
> piece of kernel code was loaded, and obviously the main suspect :)

That would be Madwifi. I did suspect that at first, until it worked just
fine when I dropped back to FS2.04. Of course, it could still be that
Openswan is triggering something in Madwifi that FS isn't;

> ksymoops is a binary that can translate the numbers of the oops, with
> the System.maps file from the kernel build. If running ksymoops on
> another machine, you can still specify the System.map to use. Don't
> worry about syslog stuff in the logfile, ksymoops is clever enough to be
> able to handle "dmesg | ksymoops".

I'll have to experiment some more with this, and see if I can reproduce it
on a different box with a similar configuration. The box in question right
now is my firewall at home, so I really don't like killing it on a regular
basis.  :)  (Yeah, I have to use a WiFi card in my firewall to connect up
to the cable modem until my landlord gives me permission to rip through
some walls to actually wire the place up - it's irritating, it is!)