[Openswan dev] Debian package of Openswan

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Mar 2 13:08:00 CET 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:

> I am the maintainer of the official Debian freeswan package and would be
> interested in switching Debian to openswan, given the recent
> announcement of freeswan. How large are the current difference between
> freeswan 2.04 and openswan 2.1.0rc1 ? I know that e.g. NAT Traversal
> support is included, which I am adding via a patch to the freeswan package.
> If the kernel integration is similiar, I might be able to package
> something rather quickly.

It should be a fairly simple swap-in replacement. The only issue you need to
be careful of is the kernel code. If you plan to include KLIPS, then you need
to ensure this doesn't bite with the 2.6 native code. This problem will be
mostly tackled in the last freeswan (2.06) release. Perhaps you want to check
out the release candidate there, or wait a few days for openswan to pick up the
code themselves.

Also be aware setkey is needed for openswan to work with the 2.6 native stack.

If using cvs, be sure the disable USE_LWRES in Makefile.inc unless you want the
package to depend on a BIND 9.3 snapshot.

Feel free to contact me with questions about the packaging.