[Openswan dev] openswan-2 HEAD where ?

pw at linuxops.net pw at linuxops.net
Wed Jun 30 12:49:06 CEST 2004

Quoting Dominique Blas <ml at blas.net>:

> Le mardi 29 Juin 2004 17:21, Nate Carlson a écrit :
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Dominique Blas wrote:
> > > Sorry for this question but, now, after an exchange on the users ML, I
> > > think I need to use KLIPS under 2.6 (with native IPSEC disabled of
> > > course).
> > >
> > > Where can I find the openswan HEAD which Nate is talking about.
> > >
> > > I checked out the CVS but didn't find the scripts (move, etc) he was
> > > speaking of,
> >
> > If you don't specify a branch to check out with CVS, it will check out
> > HEAD by default.
> Nate,
> Yep, it's what I finally understood and found your patches in your mail.
>
> But I had so many errors whith a fresh 2.6.7 that I abandonned for now (I
> have a problem under Postfix to solve).
>
> It would be nice to indicate in your procedure to copy ALL the content of the
> subdirectory linux/include into /usr/src/linux/include.

Why?

If you followed the described procedure, then you'd be building in
openswan-2/linux/net/ipsec, from which the Makefile (depending on which you're
using, I assume you followed the discussion on this list and picked the right
one for you...and modified where appropriate!) builds a set of include
directories (the -I directives). From your compile output it seems that your
paths are way off base. Instead of trying to fix the mess you're in now, I
suggest you start from scratch, using the very latest procedure Nate devised.
Follow it to the letter, and things *should* go right. If you're unsure about
the HEAD stuff, just checkout "openswan-2" using the guidelines on
http://www.openswan.org/development/cvs.php:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at anoncvs.openswan.org:/public/cvs login (use "anoncvs" as
password)
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at anoncvs.openswan.org:/public/cvs co openswan-2

After a while you'll have an "openswan-2" directory from which you can modify
with the various patches and file copies. The Makefile to use in
openswan-2/linux/net/ipsec might depend on your build environment, I think the
one which Nate described assumes you're building on a 2.6 host, and will use the
kernel source directory which /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build points to...if that
doesn't exist (maybe you installed your kernel from a package, want to use a
different kernel, etc), you will *have* to modify the makefile to reflect that
situation. I.e. change the proper variable ($TOPDIR) to point to the proper
path.

I can't explain it any more clearer than this. Please note you're messing with
stuff which is in development now, so YMMV. Bugreports and suggestions to make
things better are welcome :P

Regards,

Ferdinand O. Tempel