[Openswan dev] IPComp

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Jul 2 18:57:24 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | I have to say that my VPN head is a small machine with << only >> 64 MB
> | of memory. That's fine for testing such configuration. I'm convinced
> | that with 128MB I'd not see these behaviours.

I am not.

> | WITHOUT compression big packets (> 1000 bytes) can go through the
> | interface (and come back) BUT many memory allocations from pluto failed
> | (lack of memory) and, finally, the tunnel hangs.

Odd.

> Pluto doesn't see the IPsec packets (for data transmission through
> the tunnel), only the IKE packets (for negotiating the tunnel).  So
> IPcomp should not in any way affect the amount of memory Pluto
> allocates.
>
> A barf would be good.  Since I'm not working on *Swan these days, I
> would not be the one to look at it.

He mailed me the barfs seperately. the key line is:

Jul  2 15:57:30 vin pluto[29579]: "BRU" #3: ERROR: netlink response for Add SA comp.661a at hhh.hhh.hhh.158 included errno 12: Cannot allocate memory
Jul  2 15:57:30 vin pluto[29579]: "BRU" #4: ERROR: netlink response for Add SA comp.661a at hhh.hhh.hhh.158 included errno 12: Cannot allocate memory

The memory usage from the same barf shows:

+ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        56044 kB
MemFree:          1892 kB
Buffers:         30360 kB
Cached:           7492 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          28660 kB
Inactive:        11112 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:        56044 kB
LowFree:          1892 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:               0 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:           4388 kB
Slab:            13412 kB
Committed_AS:     5204 kB
PageTables:        220 kB
VmallocTotal:   974768 kB
VmallocUsed:       388 kB
VmallocChunk:   974180 kB

Which looks to me there is plenty of memory available (1892kB plus buffers/cache)

This seems more likely a kernel bug in either the netlink code, or the ipsec
code of the 2.6 kernel, or maybe a bug in how we call the netlink code?

If you want an "easy" way out, I recommend trying to run with a 2.4 kernel
and KLIPS for now, since you are using a standard Pentium-II based PC.