[Openswan dev] user control of conns

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Thu Dec 9 17:17:30 CET 2004

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel at suse.de>
>
> | Use neither setuid nor setgid, make the socket accessible by
> | everyone instead. It's a unix domain socket so pluto can check who
> | is connecting and reject unauthorized users. The messages coming
> | from non-root users cannot be trusted then though.
>
> After I sent the message, I too thought of this.
>
> Making the socket wide-open (with Pluto ignoring unauthorized messages)
> allows for yet another local DoS.  Might not matter -- there are so many
> others.
>
> And another alternative: two whack sockets -- one for fully
> authorized users and one for users with limited authorization.  This
> could be generalized to any number (small, I hope) of sockets.
>
> It is nice to shift the policy outside of Openswan code to the
> permissions system.  This system should be understood by sysadmins
> because it is pervasive in UNIX.  Otherwise, they need to absorb
> an Openswan-specific mechanism.  Also, it should be easier to be
> ensure that Openswan hasn't authorization bugs since the
> implementation is exterior.  That being said, the permissions system
> may not be a perfect fit.

Depends how fine grained the user control should be. You need the
authorization inside openswan if you want to control it on a per
tunnel basis. Like bob can initiate tunnel foo but not bar. Unless
you create a socket for each user controllable tunnel and then apply
filesystem acls on it or so.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development