[Openswan dev] RFC: Changes to whack's --status output

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Dec 2 03:26:03 CET 2004

| From: mcr at xelerance.com

|   progress indicators already come out of whack, and can be processed
| by "initiate" if you like to give feedback. Tell us what format to
| provide the feedback if the current output is not okay. (Alas the
| numbers that come out are actually internal states, and change slowly
| over time)

The numbers that come out were designed to be easy for programs to
parse and "comprehend".  Easier than the text portions of messages.

They were part of the public interface of pluto and were declared as
enum rc_type in whack.h (I don't know if that has been changed since
FreeS/WAN).

It is true that the only program that actually did understand them to
even a modest extent was whack (and perhaps ipsec setup or ipsec auto
-- I don't remember).

Since this capability was never used, it might not actually match the
intent.