[Openswan dev] Building Openswan RPM's, shutdown hangs

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Apr 26 14:05:50 CEST 2004

I built Dag's RPM on Fedora Core 1 using the 2188 kernel source. I build as
a mortal instead of using UML, so I first had to chown the kernel sources
to buildmeister, the mortal I use. I then ran this command:

rpmbuild -ba --target=i686-redhat-linux
kernel-module-openswan-2.1.1-dag.spec

For some reason RPM wants to build the i386 version if --target is not
specified, and the spec file fails when it attempt to build the SMP
version, as Fedora isn't providing a SMP kernel config for i386, just the
later architectures. A check for the existence of the config file should
probably be present in the %build section.

I installed the resulting RPM's but I'm finding that the system won't shut
down if a client is trying to connect. The system hangs unloading the
iptables ip_conntrack_ftp module, with modprobe using almost 100% of the
CPU. Also, when I issue "service network stop" and then "ifconfig", I see
an interface named "-00" left behind, presumably because the ipsec0
interface can't be completely unloaded while a client is trying to
negotiate. This hang happens in both the uniprocessor and SMP builds.