[Openswan Users] Shouldn't this be NATed?

James Nelson james.nelson.ii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:09:02 EDT 2011

UDP 500 and 4500 are open through the EC2 security group and I'm running a
standard Ubuntu image that by default does not lock down any ports,
something just has to be listening there.  I think we've found the actual
problem in that no traffic is being NAT'ed through 4500, but I'm still at a
loss as to how to make it happen.

My verify looks good:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.6.23/K2.6.32-317-ec2 (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]
NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP send_redirects       [OK]
NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP accept_redirects     [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [OK]
Checking that pluto is running                                  [OK]
Pluto listening for IKE on udp 500                              [OK]
Pluto listening for NAT-T on udp 4500                           [OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [OK]
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support                                [DISABLED]

My netstat isn't showing anything from 500 or 4500- should it?
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     53519
 /var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     53521    /var/run/pluto/
pluto.info
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     5670
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     3614
@/com/ubuntu/upstart

Finally, for posterity's sake, here's my iptables as they currently stand:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:isakmp
dpt:isakmp
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:isakmp
dpt:isakmp
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:4500
dpt:4500

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:isakmp
dpt:isakmp
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:4500
dpt:4500

nat iptable:
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MASQUERADE  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

--
James Nelson II
james.nelson.ii at gmail.com