[Openswan Users] IPv4-in-IPv6 / IPv6-in-IPv4

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu May 14 17:56:24 EDT 2009

Hey all,

	Seems like it is now possible with Linux kernels 2.6.21 and greater to
support IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnels and IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnels in tunnel mode.

	Seems to have already been incorporated into StrongSWAN.  Any plans for
this in OpenSWAN?  This is the one thing for which I still keep OpenVPN
around - roadwarrior IPv6 over IPv4.

	I've tried using sit tunnels over IPSec but autoconfiguring the
endpoints for the sit tunnel is a royal PITA in the roadwarrior case in
addition to adding yet another layer in the protocol stacks.  I do use
layered SIT on IPSec NAT/T tunnels for some really touch cases, but
those are static endpoints were I have the IPv4 addresses already nailed
down.

	StrongSWAN claims to make reference to XFRM_STATE_AF_UNSPEC in order to
perform that trick and I don't see that in any of the OpenSWAN files.

	I don't want to engage in a feature war between the three different
projects but that IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel would be very useful.

	Regards,
	Mike