[Openswan Users] Automatic DNS?

Dan Meiron dim at caltech.edu
Sat Mar 31 22:29:37 EDT 2007

I have been able to connect my laptop running Openswan under Suse with a
Linksys RV0041 box. Took a little work (in particular you have to do this
with aggressive mode which the Suse rpm does not support so had to recompile)
but I can now connect to the clients behind the router as long as I use their
numeric IP address.

So this brings me to my (perhaps stupid) question. Is there a way to tell
Openswan to use the built-in DNS server on the Linksys when the tunnel comes
up?

Do I do this statically by putting in the Linksys  DNS address (it would be
the gateway address on the private side (10.128.205.1)  in resolv.conf or is
there a better way which provides this information and then removes it when
the tunnel is torn down?

I ask this because for example the Green Bow VPN client has an entry for this
information and so on Windows can provide the information when the tunnel is
created.

Apologies is this is obvious -

thanks, Dan

Dan Meiron                  |   e-mail: dim at caltech.edu
292 Jorgensen Lab           |   phone:  (626) 395-4563
Caltech MC 256-80           |   fax:    (626) 628-3994
Pasadena, CA  91125         |