[Openswan Users] Error 789

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Fri Aug 6 17:58:43 CEST 2004

Walker Aumann wrote:

> services.msc claims that IPSEC is running.  Searching the disk does not
> find IKE.LOG.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant %systemroot%\Debug\Oakley.log
You can enable that logfile by editing the registry:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_ipsec_tools.asp

> IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to initialize IKE module with
> error code: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of
> object references.  IPSec Services could not be started.
                 ^^^
(Careful: typos make it difficult to look up error messages).

According to a Microsoft employee, you might be right in suspecting
McAfee or VMWare:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=e709AnnJDHA.2220%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

Perhaps an update is available? Or you could switch to another personal
firewall such as ZoneAlarm.

Incidentally, the above post also provides insight into why some systems lost
Internet connectivity after installing the (initial) NAT-T update Q818043.
It caught a lot of bad press and they had to pull the update for a while.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl